- Biotech degrees / certificates
- Event Materials
- Photo Gallery
2012 Community College Day@NIH
Submitted by Toby Horn on Tue, 09/04/2012 - 6:51am
Erika L. Barr, Ph.D [C]
Community college students and instructors are invited to attend the National Institutes of Health Community College day on October 19, 2012.
RSVP by October 5!
From Erika L Barr, PhD:
I am pleased to announce that registration for the 2012 National Institutes of Health Community College Day is now open! This free and public event will be held on October 19, 2012 at the Natcher Conference Center on the NIH campus in Bethesda, MD. The purpose of this day is to give you and your students the opportunity to visit the NIH campus and to learn about careers and training opportunities in biomedical/health care fields.
RSVP By OCTOBER 5, 2012
Highlights for this year's program include:
· Panel discussions: Basic and clinical research at the NIH, non-research biomedical and allied health careers, careers in biotechnology, careers in nursing
· Faculty Breakout Sessions: Science Education Resources at the NIH; Professional development opportunities for CC faculty and students; Information session on the BRIDGES program; newly added: Howard Hughes Medical Institute (HHMI) will highlight virtual lab; technology, and other resources available to you for classroom use.
· Networking lunch event: Community college day participants will have the opportunity to network with the career panelists, representatives from various training and scholarship programs at the NIH, NIH Human Resources representatives, Recruiters from contracting companies
· Newly added this year –
1. Panel Discussion: Careers in Biotechnology-professionals from local biotech companies will discuss their career paths and share opportunities that are available for students that have degrees in biotechnology.
2. Panel Discussion: Careers in Nursing – NIH nurses/recruiters will come and discuss various options in nursing and ways to be competitive in the field
3. Skills Blitz sessions (20 minutes sessions) – Interviewing Skills, Networking, Creating a Resume, Choosing a Career, Stress Management, Time Management
· Sessions on Applying to Summer Internship Programs: The NIH Community College Summer Enrichment Program will be highlighted.
For more information and registration please visit our Community College Day website: http://go.usa.gov/7WM
We would appreciate your assistance with encouraging your students and colleagues to register and attend Community College Day. I have attached a "save the date" flyer, please feel free to make copies and disseminate on your campus and other satellite campuses you school may have.
I look forward to seeing you at CC Day in October.
PS: In the past, faculty members have encouraged and brought their entire classes to the event! If you are planning to come as a group or class, please make sure that all students register individually. Thank you!
Erika L. Barr, Ph.D [C]
Coordinator, Special Projects
Office of the Director
Office of Intramural Training and Education
National Institutes of Health
Building 2, 2E06