- Biotech degrees / certificates
- Agricultural/Biofuels Process Technology
- Applied Biotechnology Certificate
- Bioinformatics Certificate
- Biofuels Technician
- Biomanufacturing Associates Degree
- Biomanufacturing Certificate
- Bioprocess Laboratory Technology
- Biotechnician / Bioscience certificate
- Biotechnology Associates degree
- Clinical Research Professional
- Environmental Laboratory Technologist
- Genomics Technology Certificate
- Medical Devices Certificate
- Post Baccalaureate Certificate
- Post-Baccalaureate Intensive Certificate
- Quality Control
- Regulatory Affairs Associates degree
- Regulatory Affairs Certificate
- Regulatory Compliance Technologist
- Stem Cell Certificate
- Event Materials
- Photo Gallery
Facilities Manager and Production Scientist
EMD Biosciences - Novagen
Together EMD Biosciences and Merck Biosciences are the research reagents group of the Life Science Product division of Merck KGaA. Merck KGaA was founded in 1668 in Darmstadt, Germany, and now has more than 34,500 employees in 53 countries. The Novagen brand offers world-class protein expression and purification products. With the expansion in proteomics research, the Novagen brand is well placed to support scientists with tools for sample preparation and high-throughput purification and expression systems.
What does this job involve?
Job Description and Responsibilities:
As building manager I am involved in the operation, budget, and equipment purchases for the Novagen facility. As a production scientist, I perform large-scale fermentation operations, perform large-scale purification of products, and consult in the scale up of production from bench scale up to 200-liter production.
Commonly Used Skills and Techniques:
I use multiple techniques on the job including: sterile technique, instrumentation, DNA purification, DNA and protein electrophoresis, microbiology, computers, use of biological hoods, isotope work, documentation and development of protocols and SPO's.
Rewards and Challenges
What do you find most rewarding about this job?:
I feel a sense of ownership for the projects I am involved with, it's very exciting to see a project progress from inception to completion. I especially enjoy the variety and breadth of jobs I do and solving complex problems.
What is the most challenging part of your job?:
Keeping on top of multiple tasks and a diversity of projects running concurrently.
Daily experiences: Due to the diversity of the job, daily experiences are not always predictable. However, some areas of the job are predictable like regular monthly meetings.
Quote: My education at Madison Area Technical College gave me excellent preparation for work in the real world.