Students will develop a broad laboratory science-based background through courses focused in the life and chemical sciences, and will obtain industry-specific knowledge in the areas of quality control (QC), process development (PD), and upstream and downstream processing, all while following current, good manufacturing practices (cGMP). In addition, students will learn valuable laboratory techniques and instrumentation, and develop critical thinking skills.
Students can choose to complete an Associate of Science in Biotechnology and Compliance in 2 years, or a Certificate in Biotechnology and Compliance in 9 months.
Upon completion of the Biotechnology and Compliance Program, the student will be able to:
· Practice ethical standards of integrity, honesty, and fairness in scientific practices and professional conduct
· Compare and contrast aspects of the central dogma: DNA à mRNA àProtein
· Use appropriate computer software and hardware skills to accomplish biotechnology lab tasks
· Demonstrate technical knowledge of specialized techniques and instrumentation
· Communicate thoughts, orally and in writing, in a clear, well organized manner that effectively informs and clarifies scientific principles and lab techniques.
· Use scientific procedures and current and emerging technologies to conduct safe and appropriate lab experiments and to collect data that are validated and documented
· Comply with and adhere to national, state, and local standards, policies, protocols, and regulations for laboratory and manufacturing activity
· Apply scientific knowledge and principles as well as quantitative methods and relevant technology to think critically and solve complex problems in bio technology