An InnovATEBIO program is a college program that is committed to the following InnovATEBIO goals:
- Increase the number and diversity of well-educated technicians in the biotechnology and bioscience work force.
- Partner with industry and academia to ensure that technicians have the appropriate education for the bioscience workforce.
- Encourage sustainable community college educational practices that provide high quality education and training in the concepts, tools, skills, processes, regulatory structure, and ethics of biotechnology.
- Demonstrate a commitment to ongoing program evaluation and alignment with the needs of students and industry.
Characteristics of InnovATEBIO programs
- Are based at two-year colleges or four year colleges that offer a 1-2 year degree or certificate in biotechnology or bioscience related areas.
- Include many hours of hands-on laboratory experience
- Are committed to preparing students to enter the biotechnology or life-science workforce.
- Often work with an advisory board that includes members of local industry and academia and meets at least once a year.
- Have established outcomes for student learning.
- Often include an internship experience for students.
- Provide on-going professional development for program faculty.
To be considered a InnovATEBIO program, a program must:
Participate in the InnovATEBIO community through one or more of the following methods:
- the InnovATEBIO Facebook group,
- the InnovATEBIO LinkedIn group,
- follow @bio_link on Twitter
InnovATEBIO programs are also expected to:
- Participate in InnovATEBIO surveys
- Respond to requests for information
- Credit InnovATEBIO for support where appropriate
- Contribute to the InnovATEBIO community through one or more of the following mechanisms:
- Help recruit former students to contribute photo diaries to the Biotech-Careers.org site
- Update and add information to your program section on the InnovATEBIO web site
- Write a blog post for the InnovATEBIO web site
- Your choice – we know you're a creative group!
Why join the InnovATEBIO community?
By joining InnovATEBIO and participating as an InnovATEBIO program, you will have:
- A way to share what you know and learn from others
- National recognition for your program
- An area on the InnovATEBIO website for your program with a map that links to nearby employers
- Assistance and instruction in editing and updating your program area
- The ability to post events on the InnovATEBIO site
- Help with building awareness for your program among local employers
- Priority access for conference registrations
- Eligibility for mini-grants to support program activities
- Assistance in finding help for running your program
- The ability to advertise for faculty positions on the InnovATEBIO web site
- A blog where you can write about your program
Become an InnovATEBIO program
Once you have completed an application form, we will set up a page for your program and help you get started.